Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Day 1






With the sea of red shirts and the company of fellow comrades, I undoubtedly felt a myriad of emotions at the airport. I was excited because I’d be overseas with my friends, but I was sad at the same time due to the fact that I’d be leaving my family. Also, I probably had the slight feeling of anxiousness because I’d be leaving for a foreign land with a language I could barely speak – or it could have been the breakfast.



The flight to Guangzhou, albeit rather uncomfortable, was pretty okay. I don’t have much to complain about except that the food wasn’t all that nice. The domestic flight was rather rough though but I guess it doesn’t come as a surprise. [It was delayed]



On the bus ride to the Wuhan University of Science and Technology, everyone seemed to have been pretty beat and out of it so I guess many people were asleep throughout the ride or spacing out of some sort. I was looking out the window and the condition of places over here and conditions back at home are very different. It would be a rarity to find abandoned buildings at home [Singapore] but there appeared to be an abundance of seemingly abandoned buildings here. Okay, some of them aren’t exactly abandoned. It’s just that the condition is really bad and the only sign that lets you know that people are living there would be by the hanging of clothes outside. It made me appreciate what I have back in Singapore because things are just safer and more secure than it is over here. Plus, it doesn’t look run down.




We got to the dorm at around 2 and there was a slight confusion on the room allocation. When we got in, Jiali, Sheila and I went straight towards the beds as if we had been assigned who sleeps where and stuff. It’s not comparable to the loft but it works just fine. :)

Well, there isn’t much to say in this first post besides the apparent culture shock that was presented to us. People behave differently in different lands and like that of the first NE message, ‘Singapore is our homeland; this is where we belong,’ everyone has diverse homes and sets of practices. It just highlights the fact that various individuals have varied perceptions on how things should ideally be done and it all depends in the environment and culture that they have been brought up in. After all, another man’s meat could very well be another man’s poison.


Because I'm forever tak glam, I shall end this post with me looking like an angry old woman. Adios Amigo (:

No comments:

Post a Comment